Apple, Google GCs create public diversity initiatives

Apple, Google GCs create public diversity initiatives

Leaders at the Front is a campaign run by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity that makes promises

Pledged by almost 400 firms and large corporations in US, including Google and Apple, about improving diversity, equity and addition in the legal profession.

Approximately 93 percent of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) members have already pledged and the LCLD is working to complete the remaining 7 percent’ pledges as soon as possible. As part of the council’s Leaders at the Front campaign, which encourages legal leaders to push for change, the pledges are part of the council’s Leaders at the Front initiative.

Our member organizations, through the actions they take every day, are showing just how pressing these issues are, even though much work remains to be done.” LCLD president commented:

In addition to succession planning and sponsorship, general counsel and managing partners should collaborate on a number of strategic issues.

According to Ellen Dwyer, Chair of the LCLD board and Chair of Crowell and Moring’s executive committee, leaders’ success in the Leadership at the Front campaign points to their commitment to eliminating systemic barriers which hinder diverse talent’s advancement. Executing those commitments is our next priority.”

Despite the growing client relationship business, Dwyer has promised to implement succession plans that involve diverse lawyers within client relationships.

A number of other pledges have been made by the entire legal department, including Google GC Halimah DeLaine Prado, Cisco GC Dev Stahlkopf and Accenture GC Joel Unruch, who promised to enhance accountability and transparency within the legal department and among outside counsel.

It was announced last week that Apple’s General Manager Kate Adams is working to increase the number of underrepresented people in leadership.

LCLD announced that the next phase of the campaign will involve action-oriented workshops and supporting activities aimed at helping members implement their strategic plans.

After the success of a North America-focused pilot program launched in 2016, German chemicals company BASF announced plans last month to boost diversity levels globally. It is imperative that BASF panel firms demonstrate a commitment to increasing the number of lawyers from diverse backgrounds as well as retaining and promoting diversity of lawyers within their firms.

Read More